[Yum-devel] Problems with dependencies

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 27 17:14:32 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-11-21 at 21:41 +1100, Jason Cox wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask but here goes.
>
> At work I have a set of 9 different packages tat I need to deploy. some
> packages have a cross dependency with another package where I want it to
> update to a minimum version if the current version is less than
> required.
>
> What I am finding however is that if the "required" package is of a
> lesser version then it just updates to the latest available on the
> system. So in short I want installed version one updated to version 3
> via a dependency but actually get version 11.
>
> I hope I have made sense of what i am trying to do and have included the
> spec files and install log for the vanilla RHEL6.2 server.

 Yes, this is std. behaviour. Basically yum sees that the requirements
aren't met and so then does an "upgrade" on the package, as being on the
non-latest version is seldom the desired behaviour it chooses the latest
version.

 If you install the yum-security plugin and use update-minimal, that has
behaviour that is similar to what you want (but I'm far from sure that
it will do what you want for your case, given the indirection, unless
you add the requirement to the updateinfo).

 You can also use something which specifies the entire transaction, with
all the versions you want ... like "load-transaction",
"yum-debug-restore" or even using "yum shell" directly.
 You can also use things like "yum-versionlock" to remove new versions
from consideration.

 By far the easiest to deal with on the client side though is to control
the repos. that the client sees ... so that the latest version of what
the client sees is the version you want installed.