[Yum-devel] [Yum] Need help with writing a yum plugin

James Antill me at james-antill.name
Mon Mar 26 15:39:02 UTC 2012

 Moving to yum-devel.

Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to write a yum plug-in: wait-for-kmod

 You can probably do this as some kind of kmod specific hack, but it's
likely to get as much love as the previous yum-kmod plugin (which is
to say, none).

> For quite a few users, the kmods from RPMFusion are a must. (Take
> broadcom wireless for example). Now, the kmods generally lag the kernel
> updates by a few hours: people who do update their systems in this
> interval are left without wireless/display etc. on reboot.
>
> We see this issue regularly in #fedora, each time a kernel update is
> pushed. The plug-in will make yum skip updating the kernel if it sees
> that the corresponding kmods are not yet available for update.

 So what you really have are repo. dependencies, and you need a way to
specify those. This has come up with other things too, Eg. a general
model of:

foo-release
foo-updates
foo-updates-testing

...where all updates go to updates-testing, and then _move_ to
"updates" ... and then maybe also move to "release".
 Here you need to make sure that PkgXYZ doesn't leave u-t before it
appears in u, from the clients POV, even though it might happen at the
same time on the server ... and the metadata_expire repo. times might be
different.

James Antill -- james at and.org