[Yum-devel] yum development question

Dmitry Makovey dmitry at athabascau.ca
Mon Mar 12 22:09:14 UTC 2012

I'm working on CPacMan plugin for yum and so far I've had some success, but I
am not quite sure whether I do things "right" so far. I've tweaked and twisted
plugin to work under both RHEL5 (3.2.22) and RHEL6 (3.2.29) but at times I
pretty much was beating it into submission.

I have simplified the code and pasted it here:

http://pastebin.com/NkUS6sb0

and would appreciate any feedback on it's quality/deficiencies... I am even
willing to incorporate those changes and built simplified version of plugin
once I'm done for "code snippets" section.

Brief outline of function:

plugin generates "pseudo-repo's" from a set of directories with RPM files.
Locations of the repos and their contents are evaluated at run-time making
them fairly dynamic (based on CPacMan rules, server class etc.). Packages are
not meant to be installed on local machine either - I generate package
manifest which can be used later to transfer files to a specific server and
deployed there etc.

The main thing I'm interested in is whether I have properly implemented
alternative repository/sack/package classes and whether I use them right, it's
not about whether I should even attempt implementing features I'm interested
in, which are: real-time _in-memory_ repo generation with all the goodness
that comes with it ;)

--
Dmitry Makovey
Web Systems Administrator

When in trouble when in doubt run in circles scream and shout
     http://www.wordwizard.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19330