[Yum-devel] Is "yum clean all" problem or repository issue? Newpackages could not show after "yum clean all"

jupiter jupiter.hce at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 06:31:11 UTC 2012

Thanks for your response, please see following comments.

On 7/14/12, jigang.djg <jigang.djg at taobao.com> wrote:

> after new packages were added to the reposity, did you update the repos ?
> run command  like this:
>  /usr/bin/createrepo --update -d -p  rhel/5Server/x86_64

Yes I did update each time when new packages were added in.

> and then, run command on the client:
> yum list | grep new_pkg_name
>
> can you see the name of your newly-added packages ?

No, that is the problem.

> "yum  clean all" is just used to clean local cache on the client.

I tried "yum clean all", I even manually deleted local __db and other
caches then tried "yum list | grep new_package" again, just not
working.

> For your question or test, the operations below may help you:
>
> 1): update the repos as the way i told you above.
> 2): run comand on the client: yum clean all
> 3): run command on the client to view whether new pacakges have already been
> stored in the new repo files:
>
> zcat  repo_path/repodata/primary.xml.gz | grep new_pkg_name

Yes, I checked the xml files, the new_packages are in primary.xmk.gz.
The fact that I can even see new packages when I run "yum list | grep
new_package" in the repository machine, it effectively ruled out that
the private repository has stale cache to prevent "yum list" to see
the new packages.

Now I've got more questions:

(1) Are yum repositories including public yum repositories have caches
not only for its own packages but for other repositories packages
which could prevent my local machine to see new packages from the
private repository?

(2) Does "yum clean all" only clean the local machine cache, or the
"yum clean all" clean caches crossed network including all sites in
repo list?

(3) If "yum clean all" cleans caches from repo list sites, does it
clean only for enabled repos, or both enabled and disabled repos?

I completed lost for how the "yum clean all" can do to affect cleaning
all caches across networks. As I cannot add a test new package to the
public yum repository, I never know if the "yum clean all" works or
not to clean all caches crossing the networks. Any idea how to debug
or fix this issue?

If you know how to test "yum clean all", please let me know.

Thank you.

Kind regards