[Yum-devel] RFC: yum+rpm ppc64p7 patches

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Wed Apr 18 14:29:44 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 15:37 +0200, Phil Knirsch wrote:
> Yea, it's kinda butt ugly, but the problem is that rpm doesn't have an
> API for it, even less so for the python part that would be required.

 Yeh, just seems that one of the bester cases here would be having an
"rpm API" that says "give me the current AT_PLATFORM and/or AT_*".
 Even if we don't move/merge "all" of the arch detection code into rpm,
at least having those would be good.

> The latest patch version for rpm at least does it in a decently sane way
> where a struct is being populated with AT_PLATFORM and AT_HWCAPS
> information to be used for defaultMachine() stuff.
>
> The other 2 options are to either look at /proc/cpuinfo or to use ENV
> where at the end the AT stuff is being "injected", but the IBM folks
> strongly recommended not to use the former

 Do they say why they don't want us looking in cpuinfo? We do that on
most arches anyway ... I just know anaconda/mock/pungi/something is
going to barf when we have to start running other programs.