[Yum-devel] is there a bug with the exactarch option?

Andy andy-nntp23 at linuxtech.net
Wed Apr 4 20:48:13 UTC 2012

James Antill wrote:

>  symlinks or hard links will solve that.

That might solve my space problem with the traditional repo layout  (at a cost
of further complication and therefore additional risk of errors) but it won't
solve the bug I was talking about so there is no point in doing this.

But this talk about my repo layout is completely beside the point since the
repo layout is not the cause of the problem.

The problem is caused by yum prefering a newer version of a package with a
different arch when looking for updates, which is not supposed to happen when
exactarch is set to 1 (which is the default as you rightly pointed out).
This would equally happen with the Fedora repo layout in case the x86_64 repo
contains a newer version of a i686 library package.
According to the exactarch description on the yum.conf man page:

Set to ‘1’ to make yum update only update the architectures of
packages that you have installed. ie: with this enabled yum will
not install an i686 package to update an i386 package. Default is ‘1’.

Clearly when yum prefers a newer i686 package on a x86_64 system during a 'yum
update' it's breaking it's own rule and therefore this is clearly a bug.

>  Feel free to post a man page patch with updated wording.

The only updated wording I could think of is:

exactarch: this feature is currently broken and does nothing.