[Yum-devel] Changes to yum git

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 23 20:15:51 UTC 2011

 How the development branches were setup have confused some people, due
to historical reasons, and so now seems a good time to clean it up as
we're getting close to merging some larger changes.

tl;dr version:

 Development has now moved from "yum-3_2_X" to "master", and the default
branch you get on a clone is now also "master". This just means that if
you have a checkout already then either rm -rf it and re-clone, or run:

git checkout master
git pull

...before you create your next patch.

     Longer version
     --------------

 Currently:

development:
git clone yum
  => defaults to the "yum-3_2_X" branch
  => This is where all the development happens, and where Fedora rawhide
     packages come from.
  => "Stable" development happens here, and we try not to break
     things ... but sometimes do.

releases:
git tag
  => Each release has a tag like yum-3-4-3
non-upstream branches.
  => We also backport patches to some distributions, but they only
     live in the rpms for those distributions.

 What will happen now:

development:
git clone yum
  => defaults to the "master" branch, "yum-3_2_X" branch will now be
     dead.
  => This is where all the development happens, and where Fedora rawhide
     packages come from.
  => "Stable" development happens here, and we try not to break
      things ... but sometimes do.

releases:
git tag
  => Each release has a tag like yum-3-4-4
git branch
  => We will start doing some release branches, and "backport" (should
     mostly be cherry-pick) the most stable bugfixes to new upstream
     releases.
  => Given the traditional number of patches we backport, this will
     probably start out as a "yum-3.4.4" branch. But it may well soon
     move to master being 3.6.x and having a "yum-3.4.x" branch (with
     "bugfix only" 3.4.x releases coming out with 3.6.x normal
     releases).