[Yum-devel] yumdownloader option to download only the best arch package

Rogerio Vinhal Nunes rogeriov at syst.com.br
Wed May 4 18:50:47 UTC 2011

Hello,

I would like to see if you could solve a problem I have (or at least give
some directions to do a workaround).

With the CentOS 5.2 version of yum and yum-utils, I could use yumdownloader
to download some packages in my environment. But then I upgraded it to the
CentOS 5.5 version and then, suddenly, yumdownload started to download
multiple packages when the repositories had two architectures available for
it.

For example: If I downloaded the gocr package, I ended up with a i386
version and another i686 with the i386 being a late old version on the
repositories.

I tried even to change the code quickly so my system would only donwload the
i686 (since it suits better my architecture) and leave the i386 package out
of it, but things got a little more difficult than I imagined.

So, if yumdownloader had some option to download ONLY the most adequate
package (because I would even have to download some i386 packages that
didn't have i686 versions as well) that would be very nice. The default
behaviour could still be to download both, but I wish I could avoid
duplicate packages from less suitable architectures as an option.

Any thoughts on this feature?