[Yum-devel] Some minor modifications/additions to merge-conf

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 3 14:51:02 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 10:22 -0400, rocketraman at fastmail.fm wrote:
> I have attached 3 patches with some minor modifications to merge-conf:
>
> 1) Adds support for meld as well as vimdiff for external merging.

 I'll merge this.

> 2) Changes the order that files are passed to the external merge tool.
> When I merge rpm changes, I generally merge left to right.  So, when
> merging an ".rpmnew", left contains the ".rpmnew" and right contains
> the final file. When merging an ".rpmsave", left contains
> the .rpmsave, and right contains the final file. In all cases, final
> file (i.e. new) is on the right and "old" file is on the left. I think
> this makes more sense than the current order.

 One of us is confused, I think. It's very common to use "diff old new"
and I think that's what you want (and it might be what the original
author wanted too) but we get:

config_noreplace
local_file = (old) /etc/foo.conf
pkg_file   = (new) /etc/foo.conf.rpmnew
final_file = local_file
other_file = pkg_file

config_replace
local_file = (old) /etc/foo.conf.rpmsave
pkg_file   = (new) /etc/foo.conf
final_file = pkg_file
other_file = local_file

...so what we want is:

diff local_file pkg_file

> 3) Currently, if vimdiff or meld are used to do the merge, the .rpmnew
> or .rpmsave file is not deleted. This last patch adds a user prompt to
> delete this file.

 I'll merge this.