[Yum-devel] yum shell and exit codes and plugins

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Fri Jul 29 15:03:22 UTC 2011

>>>>> "sv" == seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> writes:

sv> so the goal of the yum shell script came from me, I suspect.
sv> It meant you could let the admin edit the shell file to do whatever
sv> they needed (groupinstall, groupupdate, etc)

Well, that's exactly how I use it.  I install /etc/yum/yum-daily.yum as
part of my kickstart %post that updates yum, rpm, glibc, etc., then
updates everything, then does a bunch of groupinstall calls depending on
what the machine's function is.  A very poor man's config management
system, you could say.

I still have to patch yum-cron to grep out all of the "already installed
and latest version" messages which I cannot seem to find a way to
suppress.

I suspect if this functionality went away I'd just grab the old code and
keep using it.

 - J<