[Yum-devel] yum shell and exit codes and plugins [was Re: Reorganize yum-cron...]

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Jul 29 15:04:52 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 10:35:34AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > Because the existing yum-cron did it that way, I followed the model of
> > having the actions run corresponding yum scripts. The question is: is
> > there any real advantage in doing that? Why not just run "yum upgrade"
> > and "yum clean packages expire-cache"?
> so the goal of the yum shell script came from me, I suspect.
> It meant you could let the admin edit the shell file to do whatever they
> needed (groupinstall, groupupdate, etc)
> I thought of the yum-shell as a file you could have your cfg mgmt system
> replace and then have the job run at a regular interval.
> but I admit it's not really necessary.

Ah, I see. That makes sense and I suspected as much. And that's why they
were in /etc. But, somewhere along the line, the code got a little muddled
and introduced assumptions that weekly was the cleanup task (the "CLEANDAY"
variable) and that daily does the updates. So as yum-cron stood, it ended up
not being that flexible, at least not cleanly.

I think what I'd like to do is introduce actions for pretty much every
reasonable (TM) thing a sysadmin might want into the main script, and then
local admins can change the cron config to call the actions they want.

(Groupupdate is an interesting one, and I can see the appeal in having a
simple file to edit rather than trying to set a list of groups in a shell
config option.)