[Yum-devel] yum shell and exit codes and plugins [was Re: Reorganize yum-cron...]

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jul 29 14:35:34 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-07-29 at 10:31 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> >  Also, it'd be nice to go straight to having:
> > yum-cron update
> > yum-cron cleanup
> > yum-cron check-updates
> > yum-cron download-updates
> > ...and then the only things looking in sysconfig/yum-cron would be
> > the .cron.sh files. But I'm not going to NAK it for that.
>
> Because the existing yum-cron did it that way, I followed the model of
> having the actions run corresponding yum scripts. The question is: is there
> any real advantage in doing that? Why not just run "yum upgrade" and "yum
> clean packages expire-cache"?

so the goal of the yum shell script came from me, I suspect.

It meant you could let the admin edit the shell file to do whatever they
needed (groupinstall, groupupdate, etc)

I thought of the yum-shell as a file you could have your cfg mgmt system
replace and then have the job run at a regular interval.

but I admit it's not really necessary.