[Yum-devel] Regarding Yum

Karthik S mindbuster31 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 06:29:48 UTC 2011

Hi Experts,

I am currently trying to create a list of rpm;s that need to be installed on
a server by populating a list of rpm's and run the rpm command on each
through an iteration.

For this, my build time processes create a repodata that has the
primary.xml.gz file that has the info about the rpm's, the type of rpm's
they are, an their location.

I use the xmlstarlet to pick up the rpmnames and the rpm location alone, and
generate a list of rpm's as in order, in primary.xml.gz.

My Problem and clarification sought ...
==============================

1) The list that i generate for the rpm's is out of simple pick up and drop
into a file as they are in primary.xml.gz
2) The rpm's are not ordered based on dependencies resolved.
3) Hence while trying to use the rpm command on the rpm's in iterations,
fails to do so, because there is depencency failure.

I wanted to know if i can run anything like a yumsorter or any kind, that
will help me use the rpm list and draft the dependencies and generate me a
new list that i can pass to the rpm command.

Expecting your expert thoughts and this will be of great help, David !!!

Thanks,
Karthick