[Yum-devel] Yum with aria2

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jan 3 15:37:17 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2010-12-29 at 08:38 +0100, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have red an interesting article at Matt Parnell
> (http://www.mattparnell.com/projects/apt-fast-and-axel-roughly-26x-faster-apt-get-installations-and-upgrades.html)
> about how is it possible to get faster downloads through apt, and I
> think we could gain that speed improvement at many places where big
> amount of data comes down, even if just deltarpm's in picture for yum.
> I mean not just the updates for the package manager, else at many
> fedora apps - like pulp, preupgrade, and maybe many more what uses
> yum. I'm sure that this artifact could be very useful to us - and if I
> good understand this - the based technique is slicing up the
> downloaded
> data to pieces and so gets faster (multithread ftp). But I have seen
> two different scripts - one is using aria, an another is using axel.
> Both are pretty neat. However, in my opinion aria2 is much better for
> this purpose - but my questions are:
>
> - Is preupgrade using/or possible to use aria2 to make it faster the upgrade?
> - Is there any plugin for yum that uses this technique?
> - is it possible to combine presto and multithread ftp update (or
> torrent technique or both) to get faster downloads?

1. multiple connections downloading the same file from the same mirror
just feels abusive to mirrors
2. changing out how we download things to allow multiple downloads at
the same time is in the cards
3. changing out how we download things to spawn an external process is
in the cards (for selinux's sake)
4. you can download all the files in the predownload plugin hook if you
want to prototype something.
5. torrent is never going to happen. Seriously.