[Yum-devel] Translation support to yum-utils

tim.lauridsen at gmail.com tim.lauridsen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 06:03:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 4:02 AM, James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-12-30 at 15:06 +0100, tim.lauridsen at gmail.com wrote:
> > I have added the first steps to get translation support into
> > yum-utils.
> >
> > Currently only the yum-plugin-aliases has been modified to support
> > translations, because it already has _() wrappers.
>
>  This needs to be done, eventually. But there are two main reasons I've
> kind of ignored it:
>

> 1. Python still sucks for i18n, I'm still disabling it in RHEL because
> the risk/reward doesn't seem to be enough (nobody is requesting i18n
> work in RHEL yum, and most of our yum bugs are still from it). So at
> worst I think I'd really like a "simple" way to turn it off in
> yum-utils, this could just mean having a yumutils.i18n module which we
> can do the same thing as in the yum module.

I agree that i18n is kind of a pain sometime, much easier if everybody
talked danish :)
I think that unicode is the issue, not i18n.
Fine with med to do a yumutils.i18n there do a wrapper around python kitchen
It don't become a hard requirement, just fallback to some dummy wrappers if
the import fails

> 2. I'd like to not _require_ kitchen for the next month or two, that way
> I can get versions of yum/yum-utils into RHEL-6.1 without it as a
> requirement.

Are you using the upstream spec file or a custom one ?
if you uses a custom one there is no need to doing magic in the upstream
spec file to avoid i18n.

Tim