[Yum-devel] RFC: Yum DBus service API

tim.lauridsen at gmail.com tim.lauridsen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 17:40:15 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 3:24 PM, FlorianFesti <ffesti at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 02/11/2011 11:49 AM, tim.lauridsen at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Please read an let me know what you think
>>
>>  I like the idea. Reading the questions on the wiki page:

Cool.

> I think the DBus API should be merged into yum. That way it is easier to
> make sure the two parts don't get out of sync. But even more important is
> that this will tell potential users that the DBus API is a supported part of
> yum and they can rely on the ongoing existence and maintenance.

Make sense to me.

> I guess it is easier and faster to develop it in a separate repository,
> though. We can review and merge it when it is done. May be we can have it as
> a "technology preview" for one release and ask projects to check if the API
> is sufficient for their needs (probably by doing an initial porting effort)
> and then make the API final in the next release. I think it would be good to
> have at least 3 different API users as this is the minimal number to make
> sure the API is general enough. I still have to draw those projects out of
> my hat, though.

I plan to make yumex use it :)

> I wonder if the architecture allows running the back end without root
> permissions and obtain the privileges to actually change something on the
> system later (just before running the transaction) (Sorry, didn't check out
> the details, yet).

It is possible to set permissions to each method, ex. GetVersion don't
require root access, the problem is that grabbing the yum lock
should require root access and you cant do much without the lock.

> May be we should also offer a less fine grained progress signal than
> RPMProgress. Something that just goes from 0 to 100 to make it easy for GUI
> applications to offer just one progress bar for the whole transaction run as
> this is a likely use case.

Yes, it is a good idea to make a simpler form for progress signal.

Tim