[Yum-devel] random todos

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Fri May 28 19:28:22 UTC 2010

Hey Folks,
 I am posting some of the things on my todo list to see if anyone feels
like picking up some of them.

yum:
• whiteout/blacklists from comps needs to be handled in comps.py for
dumping them back out.
• multiple-item-grab in one command - from urlgrabber using curl
• make groupinstalls add info into the yumdb about the group the pkg
belongs to, maybe
• pre and post per-package-download plugin hook
• history plugin hook
• history arbitrary data save location as a txt dump into a path related
to the history db + tx number
- compare providers/depsolve pluginhook/callback - so we could,
potentially have users DO something if the thing they want is not chosen
- gpg CA key - one single key that lets us auto-import other keys if the
other keys are signed by this key
- rescode/restring from buildTransaction - turn restring into an object
with a __str__ method for api compat - but have it store what the error
was, what caused it, and maybe a suggestion for something to print out
to help the user know how to workaround/solve it.
- spawn off a separate process for the pkg download so selinux doesn't
hate us anymore.
- make use of recorded download stats
- take pkg-deps-tree-view and pkg-prov-tree-view and turn them into:
   one program
   a proper yum-util

createrepo/metadata:
 - make -d (database) the default
 - work on sqlite-only createrepo runs
 - integrate new repoMdObject code from yum into createrepo/modifyrepo
 - start prototypes for splitting summary/description fields into
translatable chunks/files
 - start prototypes of chunking out filelists and per-pkg metadata into
discrete pieces
 - createrepo --update --sqlite-only - to make --update significantly
lighter memory-wise

urlgrabber:
 - multipledownloads at the same time
 - libproxy patches
 - record download stats per mirror
 - sort mirrors via download stats

These are more or less just dumps of my gnote todolists + some paper
notes. If anyone is interested in working on any of them, patches are
welcome, of course and if you have questions about how to do them, ask
here or come by #yum on freenode.