[Yum-devel] Syslog issues

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Wed Mar 24 16:12:47 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 24 March 2010, James Antill wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 21:50 +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > Hello,

Thanks for the comments, James.

> > Now, logging.handlers.SysLogHandler can take the facility in its
> > constructor, but oh joy: it doesn't use the constants from the syslog
> > module, it works with its internal
> > logging.handlers.SysLogHandler.LOG_USER etc constants or its internal
> > string mapping to them ("user" -> LOG_USER etc).  Both are undocumented
> > :P.  It *seems* that one can get from the syslog constants to the
> > SysLogHandler-understood ones with >> 3, e.g. syslog.LOG_USER >> 3 ==
> > SysLogHandler.LOG_USER.

Upstream just made this bit of the pile suck less by quickly responding to a
doc bug I filed so I'm going to use the constants from SysLogHandler in the
patch I'll send in a jiffy; the values are the same in Python 2.x as well as
the trunk where they fixed it: http://bugs.python.org/issue8219