[Yum-devel] how to require a kernel module

Farkas Levente lfarkas at lfarkas.org
Mon Mar 8 12:30:34 UTC 2010

hi,
on rhel/centos-5w we've a lot's of kernel module (thanks to the elrepo)
and we can build our own on a nearly standardized way for rhel/centos.
but i now run into a problem how to add a require kmod line into another
package's spec file. it seems to very easy, if i've got package x.spec:
Requires: y-kmod
first question whether y-kmod or kmod-y (tha package name or the virtual
provides)? and if we go a bit further and have a i386 machine with 4gb
ram which install by default kernel-PAE and like to install x into that
machine i wish to pull (yum pull) kmod-x-PAE and not kmod-x since it
can't be used on a PAE kernel. what's more if x pull kmod-y that also
pull the none PAE kernel too which is also not a good think. there are
two plugins in yum-utils yum-kernel-module and yum-fedorakmod, but none
of the seems to working (yum-fedorakmod instal the proper kmod-x-PAE too
if i set installforallkernels=1, but still install the non PAE one and
the none PAE kernel too).

so what's the good and proper solution to require y kernel module into
package x (in a way that works with yum on all kernel variant)?

i even like to modify any of the yum-kernel-module or yum-fedorakmod to
be able to use, but the problem is that i can't write conditional
requires in a package spec file which depend on the runtime kernel
variant:-(

if there would be some tricky yum plugins which do this:
- if yum needs to install a package
- check whether the package provide kabi-module or kernel-module. if yes
it's a kernel module.
- if it's a kernel module than check the currently running kernel (and
optionally all installed kernel) and install the proper kernel module
variant. eg. if the running kernel is:
   - kernel-2.6.18-164.11.1.el5 then install kmod-ocfs2
   - kernel-PAE-2.6.18-164.11.1.el5 then install kmod-ocfs2-PAE

anybody has any solution to this?
thanks in advance.
regards.