[Yum-devel] Q: New <origin> attribute in repomd.xml?

Michael Andres ma at suse.de
Fri Mar 5 10:49:44 UTC 2010

Hi.

We (@opensuse) want some easy way to check whether a some rpmmd repository is
already used on a system. Detection should work even if the repo is available
via different URIs (e.g. http and DVD, or two different mirrors).

The idea is to introduce a new tag in repomd.xml:

       <repomd xmlns="http://linux.duke.edu/metadata/repo"
 +             xmlns:suse="http://opensuse.org/metadata/repo">

 +     <suse:origin>obs://build.opensuse.org/zypp:Head</suse:origin>
       <revision>1267717198</revision>
       <data type="primary">

<origin> should be some optional string provided by the creator of the
repository. If two repomd.xml contain the same string then they are expected
to contain metadata for the same repository (maybe in different revisions).

This would enable you to detect duplicate repositories or test for the
presence of a specific respository on a system (provided you know the
creators naming schema).

The question came up whether you'd find such a tag usefull as well?
If so and we could agree on a common name, we'd use this instead of
<suse:origin>.

--

cu,
    Michael Andres

Key fingerprint = 2DFA 5D73 18B1 E7EF A862  27AC 3FB8 9E3A 27C6 B0E4
Michael Andres             YaST Development            ma at novell.com
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF:  Markus Rex,  HRB 16746 (AG Nuernberg)
Maxfeldstrasse 5, D-90409 Nuernberg, Germany, ++49 (0)911 - 740 53-0