[Yum-devel] Making yum a more `portable' package manager

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jun 18 20:21:19 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 12:51 -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Hi Yum folks,
>     I'm looking at adding yum to FreeBSD ports in order to do package
> resolution at the Linux compat layer so we can have a more sane Linux
> environment and one of the things that would need some work is the yum
> tool (in particular: pathing, it needs a setup.py script for
> completeness, etc).

 So you want a linux environment in (say):

/compat/linux/...

...and you want yum to manage this?
 My guess is that you want a "native" version of yum then, so that the
linux root doesn't need to contain yum+python+etc., and then you want to
set a yum.conf (if not the yum.conf to have installroot=/compat/linux).
At which point you'd be installing yum in /usr (or /usr/local?).
 As Seth said, if you want to install in /usr/local, I think you are
better off just patching yum (and yum-utils/etc.) as it's unlikely those
patches will change much ... but I guess we _might_ accept patches,
depending on what they look like.

James Antill - james at fedoraproject.org
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/whatsnew/3.2.28
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/YumBenchmarks