[Yum-devel] random todos

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Tue Jun 1 20:31:48 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 01 June 2010, James Antill wrote:

>  While it's not a bad idea in theory, the problem is the packages aren't
> built to use that in practise ... so you have problems like:
>
> java-1.5.0-gcj-devel provides java-devel = 1.5.0
>
> java-1.6.0-openjdk-devel provides java-devel = 1:1.6.0
>
> ...or in other words they both provide "GENERIC-PROVIDE = %{epoch}:
> %{version}", which means we shouldn't do a version comparison as it's
> the same as doing a version comparison on the providing packages ==
> meaningless, IMO.

I can only say that I agree that version comparison on the providing packages'
versions would be meaningless, but strongly disagree with it being the same
thing as comparing the target Provides versions which IMO would be the right
thing to do.  Especially considering that the result of not doing it can be
fallback to name length comparison which is surely meaningless (but
predictable, and I understand why such a fallback exists).