[Yum-devel] Yum Locking

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jul 21 04:49:05 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 23:45 -0400, JohnS wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 18:02 -0400, James Antill wrote:
> >  Probably the
> > biggest feature for you is that you can set:
> >
> > cachedir=/var/cache/yum/$basearch/$releasever
>
> Now that sounds interesting.

 I also forgot that it supports dynamic vars. (see man yum.conf), which
will allow you to do even more weird/wonderful things to the default
cachedir :).

> > ...so you can have one NFS dir. for both x86 and x86_64 machines (the
> > same locking as RHEL-5 though).
>
> OK, Well beside the yum binary is there a source to it I could fetch?

 Source rpms are in the same repo. "yumdownloader --source" should get
them.

> Have you tried to install it as a relocatable package in like /opt/yum?

 No, relocatable packages don't work in general. If you want to just try
something out then the current yum-3_2_X branch should work on RHEL-5,
info. on how to get that and run it (without installing it) is provided
at http://yum.baseurl.org/.

> If nothing else I can run it in a VM.
> Fully update the VM then install the yum binary.

 Yeh, that's probably the safest thing to do.

James Antill - james at fedoraproject.org
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/whatsnew/3.2.28
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/YumBenchmarks
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/YumHistory