[Yum-devel] Yum Locking

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 03:45:47 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 18:02 -0400, James Antill wrote:
> > Read the above link and thanks for it.  Is there any kind a pre release
> > code for whats in working progress that will build under RHEL 5/CentOS 5
> > or patches to the current yum version in them?
>
>  I've been building the current RHEL-6.0 version of yum in a "RHEL-5
> environment" here:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/jantill/yum/5-from-6/

Nice.  Thanks for the link.

> ...but note that is not even close to supported, by anyone. Probably the
> biggest feature for you is that you can set:
>
> cachedir=/var/cache/yum/$basearch/$releasever

Now that sounds interesting.

> ...so you can have one NFS dir. for both x86 and x86_64 machines (the
> same locking as RHEL-5 though).

OK, Well beside the yum binary is there a source to it I could fetch?
Have you tried to install it as a relocatable package in like /opt/yum?
I don't want to can a good build machine.  I can alter the applications
calling path to the new yum.  If nothing else I can run it in a VM.
Fully update the VM then install the yum binary.

Thanks,

John