[Yum-devel] Updating documentation/man pages

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jan 18 20:04:19 UTC 2010

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010, Gerhardus Geldenhuis wrote:

> Hi
> There is a few notes scattered around in trac and readme files in the
> source about rewriting or adding to the man pages. I am not sure how
> relevant these comments still are?
>
> I would like to make some changes in general to the documentation and
> if you have any thing document related that you want changed or feel
> that is inadequate at present it would be great to hear from you.
>
> Changes I want to make:
> * Write a layout and style convention guide for yum and related tools
> man pages( subject to list review of course )

This one doesn't do much for me - but if you think it'll get people to
actually READ the docs - then sure.

> * Ensure that style guide is compatible in terms of rendering on all
> major platforms where yum is used.

you mean linux, linux, and linux? That's  all I can think of.

> * Ensure that all man pages conform to the newly written layout and
> style guides.

go for it.

> * Remove any ambiguities, eg. there is further clarifications that I
> need to make to yum-versionlock plugin.

sure.

> Any thoughts on keeping documentation in a different format and
> "generating" specific formated documentation of which man is only one
> type. Other types could be info pages. Personally I am not a big fan
> of info pages, man works well and the migration from man to info seem
> to have got stuck...

I never use info pages unless i'm FORCED to do so and I don't much see the
point in converting out of man pages.

> Lastly will there be any objections in me using trac to manage the
> document changes?

<shrug> If you want to use git to manage the document changes there is a
yum-docs git tree that has gone unloved for quite a while.

http://yum.baseurl.org/gitweb?p=yum-docs.git;a=summary