[Yum-devel] group DB

tim.lauridsen at gmail.com tim.lauridsen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 08:43:04 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 6:51 PM, James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

>  Blah, it's been way too long and this first attempt mostly seems to
> work.
>  What this patch does:
>
> 1. Stores a list of installed group id's, but only ID's ... we don't try
> to store the 666 names.
>
> 2. Stores a list of all package names we've seen belonging to each
> groupid.
>
> 3. In the yumdb we store a single (yes, single, see point #1 above)
> group id that an installed package can be a "member" of (and we copy
> that on upgrades).
>
> 4. Add a "groups" sub-command, add a few sub-sub-commands to help with
> testing (and probably deployment).
>
> 5. Changes "group install/remove/list/info" to use the "installed" data.
>
> 6. Changes "upgrade" to also upgrade groups (install new members, #3
> above).
>
> ...this is, in theory, configurable through self.conf.groups_are_real
> but I haven't tested the old code still does the same thing and other
> stuff is not exactlly 100% tested, but it was testable by me.
>
>  Patch is here:
>
> http://james.fedorapeople.org/yum/patches/groups-are-real.patch
>
>  Comments welcome, I'm sure this won't be the magical pony everyone
> wants and the switch will be a PITA. But hopefully it's closer, and it
> will solve things like 647493.

Did some basic testing and it looks good to me and is a step in the right
direction.
Maybe some colors to separate the different package states in groupinfo,
would be nice :)
Maybe a way to mark available groups where there have all the needed
packages installed (Same as installed in the old meaning, before this patch
was added)

Looking at the code, I think the print statement should be replaced with
something else, no need to add any python 3.x unfriendly code at this point
in time.

Tim