[Yum-devel] yum 3.2.24-5 now aborts on some extra RPM errors?

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 22 15:29:58 UTC 2009

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> Previously (yum 3.2.24-4) yum ignored the case where some package
> fails to unpack, as in here:
>
>  Installing     : filesystem-2.4.30-2.fc12.x86_64                        3/132
> Error unpacking rpm package filesystem-2.4.30-2.fc12.x86_64
> error: unpacking of archive failed on file /proc: cpio: utime
>
> [but yum continues anyway]
>
> However with the latest yum 3.2.24-5 it fails with this obscure stack
> trace, which we assume is related to the above error:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yum/rpmtrans.py", line 377, in callback
>    self._instCloseFile(  bytes, total, h )
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yum/rpmtrans.py", line 452, in _instCloseFile
>    state = self.base.history.txmbr2state(txmbr)
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yum/history.py", line 280, in txmbr2state
>    state = _stcode2sttxt[txmbr.output_state]
> KeyError: 100
> error: python callback <bound method RPMTransaction.callback of <yum.rpmtrans.RPMTransaction instance at 0x3ae68c0>> failed, aborting!
>
> We'd like it to continue running in this case (or at least, for that
> to be made configurable) because the particular error here is
> inconsequential for us.
>
> This is the apparent patch between the two versions:
>
> http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/devel/yum/yum-HEAD.patch?r1=1.32&r2=1.33&view=patch
>
> Lots of changes to do with the new history feature, and some changes
> to error handling, but I can't see anything obvious that would cause
> the above stack trace ...

Let's be clear - the traceback should be handled - however you had the
cpio archive inside the rpm fail to unpack. That's not an error you should
ignore. It means the bits did NOT get onto the system.

I agree we shouldn't traceback - and we'll get that cleaned up pronto -
but I don't think we should be pleased to have an unpacking failure.