[Yum-devel] Is providing sql text files instead of binary sqlite db files feasible?

Hedayat Vatankhah hedayat at grad.com
Sat Nov 7 18:30:29 UTC 2009

Hi,
Today I was testing different configurations for yum metadata files
(using different compression formats such as xz, with and without
requires table); I noticed something interesting:
Dumping Fedora 11's primary.sqlite file (using .dump command of sqlite3)
in a text file and compressing that with bzip2 results in a 4.4MB (4.1MB
using xz) file, comparing with compressing that db directly using bzip2
which results in a 11MB file (8.7MB using xz).
For Fedora 11 Updates primary database using bzip2, the size reduces
from 5.6MB to 2.1MB.

These savings are higher than the values I get when I drop requires
table from the databases and create new databases from them. Also, they
need the least changes in the code.

Just thought that it might be interesting for you!

Good luck,
Hedayat