[Yum-devel] Yum Plug-in Development

Brandon Galbraith brandon.galbraith at gmail.com
Wed May 27 20:01:36 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> On Wed, 27 May 2009, Brandon Galbraith wrote:
>

>> If someone else would find an XML web service useful, I'd be willing to go
>> in that direction. Is anyone else looking for
>> that sort of functionality?
>>

> What are you looking to do for yourself? OR are you just trying to become
> familiar with writing yum plugins and/or yum?
>
> If you're looking for something to do with yum plugins and want some ideas
> or looking to work on something in yum, then I'm sure we can come up with
> some fun ideas for you to try out!
>
> -sv

My goal is to provide a central location showing updates that need to be
applied to various servers (similar to RHN, but without the remote control
ability). My thought was to have yum auto update everything except some
critical packages we use (we roll our own distribution as well), but on a
weekly basis push a list of updates that have not been completed into a
mysql database. That table would then spit out the data onto a dynamically
generated page. Am I going about this the wrong way? I spent some time
researching centralized yum administration similiar to RHN, but found
nothing cohesive.

-brandon

Brandon Galbraith
Mobile: 630.400.6992