[Yum-devel] group DB

James Antill james.antill at redhat.com
Fri May 22 22:12:03 UTC 2009

 Some thoughts about group DB (having groups as real objects). I mainly
wrote this for me, to see if "group DB" was actually possible. I think
so :).

I think the "big" issue people want to change is that given:

	yum install blah-package-in-KDE-group
	yum groupinstall KDE
	yum groupremove  KDE

...you have blah left at the end. The other desire is that given:

	yum groupinstall KDE
	yum remove blah-package-in-KDE-group
	yum groupupdate  KDE

...you don't have blah added at the end. The last interesting feature is
that given:

	yum groupinstall KDE
	# packages added to group KDE
	yum update

...you have the new KDE packages.

I think this means that we have to know:

1. Which groups are installed.

2. Which package names were in the group. This is more complicated as we
have to manage not to ping pong when repos. are enabled/disabled, so
probably needs some repo. data).
        This lets us add new packages on "yum update".

3. If a package was installed via. groupinstall/groupupdate.
        This lets us know to remove those (and only those) on a
        groupremove.

4. Which "package names" in a group are blacklisted.
        This might be as simple as "group X is installed, and pkg FOO
        isn't new and isn't installed ... thus. blacklisted"

...a couple of things that fall out of this:

i. You can have all the packages for a group installed, but the group
not installed.

ii. You can have a group installed, but no packages from that group
installed.