[Yum-devel] Patch for yum-versionlock.1 man page

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 30 23:37:00 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-30 at 17:59 +0000, Gerhardus Geldenhuis wrote:

> I created a local repo with the following packages:
> gerrard-first-1.0-1.noarch : Toets rpm vir myself
> gerrard-first-1.0-2.noarch : Toets rpm vir myself
> gerrard-first-1.0-3.noarch : Toets rpm vir myself
> gerrard-first-1.0-4.noarch : Toets rpm vir myself
> gerrard-first-1.1-4.noarch : Toets rpm vir myself
> gerrard-first-2.1-0.noarch : Toets rpm vir myself
>
> After reading your reply I thought that versionlock could be described
> as a "list limiter" in other words if I have the following packages in
> versionlock.list
> 0:gerrard-first-2.1-0
> 0:gerrard-first-1.1-4

 What is happening here is easily seen from a code example than English:

In [1]: from rpmUtils.miscutils import splitFilename

In [2]: splitFilename("e:n-v-r")
Out[2]: ('n', 'v', '', 'e', 'e:n-v-r')

In [3]: splitFilename("e:n-v-r.a")
Out[3]: ('n', 'v', 'r', 'e', 'a')

...which is why the plugin puts things in the file like:

0:gerrard-first-2.1-0.*

...although humans would tend to put x86_64 there instead :). The arch
doesn't "matter" (versionlock ignores it) but it needs to be there
anyway. I guess that should probably be in the man page ;)

[...]
> I also manually installed the latest versionlock plugin as detailed in
> the FAQ but  I get errors when doing any yum operation then...

 Yeh, that requires a newer yum (the packages have the requires).

[...]

James Antill - james at fedoraproject.org
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/releases
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/whatsnew/3.2.26