[Yum-devel] [n] vs [m]

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Tue Dec 29 03:25:09 UTC 2009

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009, Gerhardus Geldenhuis wrote:

> Hi
> I am standardizing the url's referenced in the man pages. I have
> assumed that http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/ is old and
> http://yum.baseurl.org/ is new. Please correct me if this assumption
> is misguided.

this is true.

> There is one link I have found so far that points to a html rendered
> man page still on http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/ManYumConf/.
> I did a quick google and this tool
> http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/try seems to be able to do the
> neccesary conversions to create man pages that will have the wiki look
> and feel. Any objections if I do that?

that's fine - though I don't think the value in the man pages being online
is as a great as some may think.

> Is http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumTodo replaced by
> http://yum.baseurl.org/roadmap ? If yes I will update references.

more or less, yah.

> Some man pages direct bug reporting to trac and some to bugzilla. I
> again, have assumed that trac is new and bugzilla old. Is this correct
> and can I change bug reporting references to trac for everything?

trac is for yum-not-related-to-fedora-or-rhel
bugzilla is for yum-related-to-fedora-or-rhel

>> Lastly a random question, why baseurl.org? Seems a bit unrelated to
> yum. Would anyone mind if I approach the owner of yum.org for the
> possible usage/ownership of the domain or has that been
> done/considered.

I've contacted the owner of yum.org multiple times over multiple years -
they never respond to any email.

I registered baseurl.org to take yum and createrepo under one umbrella. It
was the only name I could come up with that wasn't completely ridiculous -
I liked it b/c of the use of the term 'baseurl' within yum.