[Yum-devel] mirrorlist not working on our own repository

Thomas Goirand thomas at goirand.fr
Thu Dec 10 06:14:15 UTC 2009

Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Dec 2009, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>
>> James Antill wrote:
>>>  The above is in the old mirrorlist format and not in the metalink file
>>> format, why have you called it metalink?
>>>  Yum looks for the string "/metalink" and if present assumes the
>>> mirrorlist is in metalink format (this is for compatibility reasons, and
>>> can't really be changed).
>>>  Just change the name if the above to "mirrorlist" and it'll be fine (or
>>> use the metalink format, if you want).
>>
>> Thanks a lot, this indeed works.
>>
>> Now, one more question. Even if there's one of our mirrors on the same
>> subnet, on the same data center, yum uses that mirror on the other side
>> of earth. What's the way that yum uses to guess who's the fastest? How
>> come yum always picks-up our very slow and far Malaysian mirror, which
>> is ftp://601.apt-proxy.gplhost.com ?
>
> it's not - it's probably just sorting the list generically and 6 comes
> first.
>
> If you want to sort the mirrors by access time look at the fastestmirror
> plugin.
>
> -sv

Well, it IS installed in my server, and that is what is concerning me.

-bash-3.2# yum search fastestmirror
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
 * addons: mirror.nus.edu.sg
 * base: mirror.nus.edu.sg
 * extras: mirror.nus.edu.sg
 * gplhost-archspecific: 601.apt-proxy.gplhost.com
 * gplhost-noarch: 601.apt-proxy.gplhost.com

Is there something I should do on my repository to have the
fastestmirror plugin work? Or on the client?

Thomas