[Yum-devel] Release schedule for stable yum

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 9 15:15:08 UTC 2009

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009, Thomas Goirand wrote:

> As I'm the maintainer of Yum in Debian, I wish to know what's the
> current release schedule. How often is it released, and what's the plans
> until next march.

It  varies. We release when we have a good number of changes and/or
something important.

> The next Debian stable, code name Squeeze, is said to be feature freezed
> on next march. At least that's the current target (we never really know
> with Debian, it's out when it's ready, that's the only rule). What I
> will do is do one more upload of yum in SID, early enough so it can be
> migrated to testing and included in Squeeze. There's no need for me to
> do that work many times, once, with a correct working version of yum,
> would be fine. That's why I need to know what would be your advice on
> when, and what version to pickup for an upload in Debian.
>
> Maybe it would be worth to use an older, but more tested version? FYI:
> Debian SID and testing (Squeeze) have version 3.2.23 currently.

I'd suggest 3.2.25. It's not a bad release at all, not a lot of bugs and
the set of things we've patched in since then in git have not been
horrible horrible crashers iirc. But I'd bet we'll have 3.2.26 out well
before march.