[Yum-devel] mirrorlist not working on our own repository

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 9 13:25:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 15:52 +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> This is a user question, not really for developers of yum, but I hope
> you will forget me for that one. I've searched on the net, and didn't
> get the answer I was looking for.
>
> For our panel, we have the CentOS instructions here:
>
> http://dtcsupport.gplhost.com/DTC-Xen/CentOS
>
> It includes how to add our repository to /etc/yum.repos.d/. The issue is
> that our mirrorlist thing doesn't work at all, with CentOS complaining
> like this:
>
> gplhost-archspecific/metalink
>           |  407 B     00:00
> Could not parse metalink
> http://ftparchive.gplhost.com/yum/centos/5/RPMS/i386/metalink error was
> File /var/cache/yum/gplhost-archspecific/metalink.xml.tmp is not XML
> Error: File /var/cache/yum/gplhost-archspecific/metalink.xml does not exist
>
> The information on the web about this is quite scarce when I google for
> it... What am I doing wrongly? I really want to use the mirrorlist
> thing, and not the baseurl if possible.

 The above is in the old mirrorlist format and not in the metalink file
format, why have you called it metalink?
 Yum looks for the string "/metalink" and if present assumes the
mirrorlist is in metalink format (this is for compatibility reasons, and
can't really be changed).
 Just change the name if the above to "mirrorlist" and it'll be fine (or
use the metalink format, if you want).