[Yum-devel] First "usable" yum history patches

James Antill james at and.org
Wed Aug 26 00:15:15 UTC 2009

 Ok, here's the first look at the history stuff. I've tested it a bit,
and it seems to provide roughly the correct functionality. Here are the
known issues in rough order of importance:

. I haven't hooked into the rpmtrans callback, so no packages are marked
as having completed the install/remove.

. Doesn't save script output or transaction errors.

. history undo/repeat are scarily unclever, although they seem to work
in my minimal tests. But they don't warn/notice if random stuff changes
behind their back, for instance.

. No cleanup/expire for old transactions, apart from "create a new DB".

. There is no real versioning on the DB, apart from "create a new DB".

. There's no configuration for history atm.
        Off the top of my head I figure we might need:
                Don't record any history.
                Don't record rpmdb versions in history.

. I've not tested anything but very recent history entries, as I kept
rm'ing my DBs :) -- so summaries of year ago data is untested atm. :).

. I've not tested with anything but the cmd line, I guess someone
at least needs to make sure PK doesn't eat itself (hey, that's what
rawhide is for, right :).

 Here is the stats. for the full diff:

% git diff --stat origin/yum-3_2_X
 cli.py                 |    1 +
 yum/__init__.py        |   27 ++++-
 yum/misc.py            |   15 ++
 yum/transactioninfo.py |    1 +

...which you can also see here:

http://james.fedorapeople.org/yum/patches/history-BIG.patch

...or just look at the next 6 emails. At least before I come back from
vacation, I'm not expecting to merge anything apart from maybe the
first PATCH ... although I am using it now, and don't expect to screw
up the DB anymore.