[Yum-devel] pain and suffering and allowdowngrade

Skahan, Vince vince.skahan at boeing.com
Fri Oct 24 22:49:00 UTC 2008

How would the system know what version to downgrade to ?   Consider the
case where you've done multiple updates of a particular package along
the way and you want to go to some intermediate step, or where multiple
old versions exist in the repo(s) you have enabled.

How would the system know where to get the rpm from (again) to do the
downgrade ?  I've seen cases where intermediate versions disappear from
some of the official repo mirrors in past Fedoras as time progressed.

How would you address the reverse-requires issue ?   Yum has a great
'resolve deps when installing package-XYZ' feature where it figures out
what other things you should have asked for as corequisites.  Would you
get into a position where you'd need to calculate which
previously-upgraded versions of other rpms would need to be backed down
too (example - downgrade net-snmp which should downgrade its libs too,
etc.)

Seems like a toughie....

------ vince.skahan at boeing.com ------