[Yum-devel] Tags, release and re-solving a few old problems

James Antill james.antill at redhat.com
Fri Oct 24 12:45:47 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 07:46 +0200, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:
> > I think we'll need to preserve compat with older repos for quite a
> > while.
> >
> Yes, we can add the new stuff, but we must be able to work with repos
> missing this extra metadata.
> both in yum and in yum-utils. me might want to implement somthing like
> repos.findSourceRepos and repos.findDebuginfoRepos in yum base so we
> can handle the compabillity in a central place

 Yeh, my plan was to have a YumBase().autoEnableSourceRepos() that would
do what yumdownloader setupSourceRepos() does now, but then use the tags
if the repos. support it.

> so each yum-utils  tool don't need to handle the compabillity.
> > I'd hold off on putting the above changes into effect until the F11
> > devcycle is underway.
> >
> Agree, to invasive to add before the F11 dev cycle, maybe a new 3.3.X
> branch is needed, but that leads to another discussion about
> how we handle branches, new features etc.
> Today we use the 3_2_X for everything, master is totally broken.
> maybe we should rethink it.

 Yeh, Seth and I have talked about that a bit ... as we still need the
API break, but we want to try and minimize the impact (and make sure
master doesn't become the forgotten branch again).

> future : (yum 4.0, API breakage etc.) F12 or F13
> unstable : (yum 3.3.x new features, but API stable) F11
> stable : (yum 3.2.x, bug fixes, translation updates. ) F10,F9,F8

 One idea we'd had was to just continue with 3.2.x, but add all the new
API bits in a compatible way (moving the callers as we go) ... and then
at some point when we are happy, call it 4.0.x, merge with master and
delete the stuff noone is using the same day and continue on with that.

--
James Antill <james.antill at redhat.com>
Red Hat