[Yum-devel] New plugin: clean-obsolete

Florian Festi ffesti at redhat.com
Sat Oct 18 10:56:34 UTC 2008

Darwin Slattery wrote:
> ... which deletes obsolete RPM package files from the cache directories...

> All comments and suggestions are welcome.

"Obsolete" is already used in a different meaning in the context of yum and
rpm. Obsolete packages are packages that are replaced by a packages with an
different name (see "Obsoletes" rpm tag).

So I would suggest to use a different term - may be "outdated" - to signal
that your plugin doesn't have something to do with obsoletes in the rpm sense.

"yum clean plugin" does also not really say what it actually happening. "yum
clean outdated" or "yum clean oldpkgs" would be more descriptive.

Florian