[Yum-devel] pain and suffering and allowdowngrade

James Braid jamesb at loreland.org
Wed Nov 26 15:45:24 UTC 2008

seth vidal wrote:
> Been thinking about allowdowngrade.
>
> How does that work for things like this:
>
> yum --allowdowngrade update \*
>
> Does that revert you back to GA of your distro?
>
> If we bit the bullet and put in a downgrade command or implemented it in
> plugin what is the behavior for it?
>
> I'm not looking for bikeshedding, pony-desiring requests. I'm looking
> for real thoughts on how downgrades should work. Maybe downgrade bans
> wildcards?

I'm replying as a sysadmin who is frustrated that the yum-allowdowngrade
plugin doesn't work.

 From my point of view the only thing I want to do with downgrade is
install older versions of packages (i.e. yum install foo-1.0.1 when
foo-2.0.1 is installed).

That's it - we have an internal repo which has a bunch of different
local packages with different versions and I want to be able to switch
between them without resorting to using rpm directly.

It would be nice if this simple use case was possible. I think anything
more complex (downgrading your entire distro) isn't really useful in the
real world. So yes, I think downgrade should ban wildcards.