[Yum-devel] pain and suffering and allowdowngrade

Charlie Brady charlieb-yum-devel at budge.apana.org.au
Tue Nov 4 17:03:30 UTC 2008

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, seth vidal wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 15:49 -0700, Skahan, Vince wrote:
>> How would the system know what version to downgrade to ?
>
> User specified or, whatever is lowest?
>
>>   Consider the
>> case where you've done multiple updates of a particular package along
>> the way and you want to go to some intermediate step, or where multiple
>> old versions exist in the repo(s) you have enabled.
>
> oh, I know - the complications are without bound. Most users don't think
> about this. They just want to downgrade back, magically, to
> functionality.

I think it would be folly to encourage that thinking. The scriplets are
the fatal flaw in my mind - they are mostly one-way transformations. I
don't think the package manager is capable of supporting rollbacks - if
the users need that, then file system snapshots is probably the best
option available.