[Yum-devel] Re: New plugin: grouppackagetypes

Robin Bowes robin-lists at robinbowes.com
Wed May 28 14:49:41 UTC 2008

James Antill wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 11:14 +0100, Robin Bowes wrote:

>> Sample Usage:
>>
>> # install just the mandatory packages from the "Base" group:
>> yum groupinstall --group-package-types=mandatory base
>
>  The only (somewhat minor) problem I have is that you can only specify a
> single type. The two obvious ways to fix this are:

Hrm, I'm sure it used to work with multiple values, e.g:

yum groupinstall --group-package-types=mandatory,optional base

> 1. Allow multiple options and split on comma/space like most of the
> options that take lists.

I guess I'll have to do that.

> 2. Just assume that default implies mandatory and optional implies the
> other two.
>
> ...the later might be somewhat "safer" but has less power.

True. I think I prefer the more flexible ability to install exactly
which packages are required. Personally, I am unlikely to want to
install "optional" packages without "default" and/or "mandatory", but I
guess someone might want that.

I better brush up my python and parse the argument passed to
"--group-package-types".

>> More details and code here:
>>
>> http://projects.robinbowes.com/trac/yum-grouppackagetypes
>
>  You might also want to include an option to enable/disable group
> conditional packages.

I'm not sure what you mean here. What are "group conditional packages" ?

R.