[Yum-devel] RFC: Turning plugins on by default

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Fri May 16 00:16:53 UTC 2008

James Antill wrote:
>  So atm. we have a couple of "super core" plugins which add repos.
> and/or tweak network stuff and so really should be on "all the time". So
> I'd like to propose that we change the defaults to plugins=True for all
> of the yum-utils commands that don't have it atm.
>
>  Can anyone think of a reason why this is a bad idea?

For plugins that ship in their own binary(?) rpm - imho, its a good idea to have
them turned on in the configs. If $user makes the decision to install something,
its reasonable to expect things to work from those bits - automagically.

For the plugins shipped in the yum-utils binary rpm - they should not be turned
on by default. If the package was called yum-extra-functionality or
yum-extra-plugins, it would be a gray area. But yum-utils isnt installed by
people only to get plugins. Turning on or changing yum behavior in that case is
a bad idea. Its a case of sneaking in functionality when it wasent asked for by
name or design.