[Yum-devel] [UG] RFE: Add OS name to user_agent default?

James Antill james.antill at redhat.com
Thu May 15 22:45:41 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 09:31 -0400, Michael Stenner wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 4:46 PM, James Antill <james.antill at redhat.com> wrote:
>  >   Yeh, atm. we've just added fixes to Fedora we know we want/need ...
>  >  AFAIK they aren't in upstream urlgrabber yet, and it's not obvious if
>  >  we'll get more active upstream(s) or we'll do something like move to
>  >  libcurl for yum 4.x.
>
>  Basically, there were some development choices in urlgrabber that took
>  us down a bit of a dead end.  People started using those features, and
>  so now I'm in a place where I need to back up, turn left, and go down
>  a better road to replace those features so everything still works.

 Yeh, I'd be more than happy to do a little work to make that happen (as
it's much better than the alternative :).

>  The RFE in this thread is way trivial, so I'm happy to do it.

 *nods*, I assume you'd add this as a comment? I'm happy to pick this up
for Fed-9 if you add it upstream.

>   As far
>  as timescale goes, I'm undecided about whether to fold in minor stuff
>  and then tackle the big problems or vice versa.  James, what would
>  make you happier?  The major replacement is the handling of SSL
>  certs... dropping m2crypto and replacing it with NSS.  Would it make
>  you happy (more secure) to have me address the little things that have
>  piled up first.  Honestly, it might help with my frustration level,
>  even  though it might be slightly less efficient.

 Yeh, so I know someone _needs_ to do the NSS stuff for Fed-10 to Fed-11
ish. (say, 8 months from now) ... but apart from that I personally
couldn't care less about NSS :).

 So going for the easy stuff first might be the way to go.

--
James Antill <james.antill at redhat.com>
Red Hat