[Yum-devel] yum install /etc/init.d/nfs ... etc.

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 18 03:30:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 19:58 -0400, James Antill wrote:
> So maybe ya'll know what I'm about to say, but it took me a good long
> while to work out wtf. was going on. Basic problem was/is that:
>
>  yum install /etc/init.d/nfs
>
> ...doesn't work. I eventually found nfs-utils and installed it (rpm -qf
> above file, on another box), and the above yum command still couldn't
> find it ... I then tried:
>
>  yum provides /etc/init.d/nfs
>
> ...and that worked! ... now I was very confused.
>

>  Long story short, the file is actually "/etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs" ... but
> returnInstalledPackagesByDep() finds it anyway due to the magic
> fingerprinting that we all love so much.
>
>  I'm going to half propose the following patch, mainly to hurt
> skvidal :), but I guess we probably have this problem other places? And
> I assume it's not that common for users to do the above (and very
> uncommon for pkgs :).
>
>  Maybe a better way to fix it would be to require that all Fedora pkgs
> use either /etc/rc.d/init.d _or_ /etc/init.d ... dito. any other dirs.
> we have that act the same way.
>  Probably need a tool/rpmlint to find them.

I don't think we should add the patch. I think it is a special kind of
crack to find symlinked paths w/i installed pkgs.

If this is a common process then, theoretically, we should see someone
file a bug about it.

Alternatively this should be fixed in the fedora packaging rules
properly.

Thanks for finding it, I think. :)