[Yum-devel] Unicode Decode Error with yum info

Kulbir Saini kulbirsaini at students.iiit.ac.in
Sun Mar 16 02:43:12 UTC 2008

Hi!

James Antill wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 05:23 +0530, Kulbir Saini wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> 	We were not checking for possible errors while converting to utf-8. I
>> have attached a patch for the same. The patch was generated using 'git
>> diff'.
>> 	This is my first patch. Hope I generated it the right way :)
>
>  Yeh, however:
>
> 1. At the very least it should only be catching "UnicodeDecodeError".
>
> 2. That unicode() call was put there because otherwise
> pkg.summary/pkg.description for libselinux caused problems in de_DE
> (among other locale problems -- as ® wasn't valid for non-unicode).
>
>  ® also looks like it's the problem for you. So what locale do you have

     en_US

> (please post output of the locale command)?

       Actually in ipw2200-firmware-3.0-9.at the char ® was something
else. I run the same thing for ipw2200-firmware-3.0-9 and nothing broke.
ipw2200-firmware-3.0-9 is latest. locale output is attached anyway.

>  Maybe we can also work around it by only calling unicode() if we get
> "translated data" from gettext.dgettext() ... as I assume whatever
> locale you have doesn't have a translation.
>  I'm loath to have so many edge cases everywhere we want to output
> locale translated pkg.summary/description.

Thank you,
Kulbir Saini,
Computer Science and Engineering,
International Institute of Information Technology,
Hyderbad, India - 500032.

My Home-Page: http://saini.co.in/
My Institute: http://www.iiit.ac.in/
My Linux-Blog: http://linux.saini.co.in/

IRC nick : generalBordeaux
Channels : #fedora, #fedora-devel, #yum on freenode