[Yum-devel] multilib preference patch

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 31 07:59:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 10:34 +0100, Florian Festi wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:
> > With the help of Tim and James A. I have a patch which lets the user
> > select what will happen when they are on a multilib arch and they do an:
> > install foo or install foo* as to which archs it will install by
> > default.
> >
> > the config parameter is multilib_policy and it's options are best and
> > all.
> >
> > all == the behavior yum has always had - which is to install all archs
> > it can (ie: i386 and x86_64)
> >
> > best == install only the 'best' arch for that architecture. So on x86_64
> > it is x86_64, on ppc64 it should be ppc, on sparc64 it is is sparcv9,
> > etc
> >
> > The default is 'all'
>
> I guess this is one of the most demanded feature by many people.
>
> Two small comments:
>
> 1. What about adding "other" to prefer the 32bit on x86 and 64bit on ppc?
> (Let's hope we'll never get a machine with support for 3 different arches)

I think the above is enough of a bizarre edgecase to just leave it out.
If you want the above specifically, that's what excludes and pain are
for.

> 2. This policy should also be effective when installing packages for
> dependency. This could probably be achieved by using .install() from the
> depsolver.

we should be using the install() from the depsolver anyway. Using
install() with a package object shouldn't take any significantly more
time and it ties us into one location to figure out where things broke.

>  But this needs to be elaborated a bit more. IMHO we should merge
> the __init__.py and depsolve.py code that manipulates the transaction anyway
> to reduce and consolidate the code base.

my only concern about merging depsolve.py and __init__.py is that
__init__.py is big enough as it is :)