[Yum-devel] [RFC] python-urlgrabber progress patch

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 30 05:25:56 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 13:40 -0500, James Antill wrote:
> I've done a smallish patch to the progress bars in urlgrabber, they
> help a couple of problems I've seen:
>
> 1. Long filenames can't be read, even after they've downloaded.
> 2. It's not easy to see your "average download speed".
> 3. Add hours in, because large numbers of minutes suck.
> 4. For download times of less than a minute the extra "00:" just
> clutters up the view (dito. less than an hour).
>
> ...now I've currently got it split into two versions, one which
> sacrifices some of #1 but gives #2 and one which does. And I added some
> test functions if you run the progress module, so you can see it in
> action. So first, this tries to do "solve" all four of the above:

> ...so what does everyone think?
>
> . I assume noone cares about dropping the dead space from the bar and
> percentage?
>
> . What about including the B/s, is that worth killing 11 bytes from the
> name and/or bar?

not so thrilled about rates, personally. Just adds clutter. And,
honestly, adding things like this to the text interface is probably just
masochism. If people want more output and more information doesn't it
make more sense to use yumex?

in short, while this is all fine and good, is it really worth adding
code for?