[Yum-devel] proof of concept patch - additional data on installed packages

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jan 28 19:02:59 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 13:35 -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 14:11 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > Something we talked about before. This is a simple fs-as-a-db backended
> > additional database. It fits in around the rpmsack and the
> > YumInstalledPackage objects to let you have fairly seamless access to
> > this information from any given installed package object
>
> So, to kind of repeat what I've said before and what we talked about via
> jabber the other day...
>
> I tend to think that adding things like this into yum is going to lead
> to an increasingly fragile path of layers of everything keeping its own
> data -- we have the rpmdb, then the new "yumdb" and the PackageKit
> persistent info, and then there will be a presentation-layer
> information.  While more difficult, I really think that we want to work
> with rpm to get the information we care about there

The problem is the wait. Getting changes into rpm takes a while and then
having them trickle into distributions takes forever. If we implement it
in yum it allows us more rapid development and enhancement of the
features.

Maybe we should be pursuing the path we've talked about before of
sublimating rpm for a more yum-centric exposed interface?