[Yum-devel] a small yum plugin

Tim Lauridsen tim.lauridsen at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 27 18:08:42 UTC 2008

Arjun Roy wrote:
> Howdy - my name's Arjun Roy, and this is my first time posting on this
> list.
> I'm an undergraduate cs student, and am interested in yum (among various
> other things).
>
> Alright, with that out of the way, I'd like to submit a small plugin for
> yum. It's a tiny
> history plugin - it serializes the record of a yum transaction after the
> transaction completes,
> and can pretty print the record on demand.
>
> For example:
>
> yum install AllegroOgg --note 'installed allegroOgg'
>    This will install allegroogg and the dependencies, and save the
> results to an xml file in a place
>    specified by the plugin conf file (default /var/lib/yum/history/).
> yum history --date=Jan-26-2008
>    This will tell you what happened on the 26th of Jan 2008. So if we
> installed AllegroOgg on that day,
>    it will tell you.
>
> My coding style might be a bit out of whack, I might have done some
> kooky things to get it to work, (though
> I like to think that I didn't) so feel free to flame it / critique it /
> submit feature requests. Hope it is useful to
> somebody.
>
> On an unrelated note, conduit.registerCommand needs more documentation.
>
> INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
> I was too lazy to make a script, but it is easy.
> 1. Copy history.conf to /etc/yum/pluginconf.d
> 2. Copy history.py to /usr/lib/yum/yum-plugins
> 3. mkdir /var/lib/yum/history
> Make sure the directory in step3 matches the directory specified in
> history.conf, and
> also make sure the directory specified in history.conf ends with a '/'.
>
> Thanks,
> -Arjun Roy

Look like a cool plugin, we are currently working on adding a kind of
database to yum base to store extra information about the transaction,
not contained in the rpm db.

The is some good ideas in your plugin there can be used in the base
implementation, when the base infrastructure for adding extra
information to installed packages is in place, then you plugin can be
changed to use the common infrastructure, and will be a good candidate
to be added to yum-util.

Best regards,
Tim